Hunter Kaupiko: The Next Big Thing

Hunter Kaupiko flexing

Hunter Kaupiko flexing

From the Aloha state to the silver state, Hunter Kaupiko and his family moved to Las Vegas as a freshman. Last year, as a freshman, Hunter started at defensive end for the Faith Lutheran varsity football team. However, this past off-season he made the transition to middle linebacker.

“It was hard transitioning to middle linebacker. I had to know all the play calls and signals. Dealing with all the coverage’s and coming downhill to attack was different then anything I had did before at defensive end.” said Kaupiko.

Now this year as a sophomore Hunter proved that he one of the best at his position in Nevada, after he made second team all conference in arguably in the hardest conference in Nevada. Hunter accumulated over one hundred and three tackles, nine tackles for loss, and four sacks.

Hunters football season just ended but he’s already started to train again.

“I’m training over at Phase 1 Sports with my linebacker coach, coach Warren. I’m already starting to get stronger and faster for next season.” said Kaupiko.

Hunters parents and coaches are very proud of him. Hunter is also very proud of his hard work.

“Being all conference as a sophomore feels really good, a lot of my hard work has paid off and I continue to do so.” But Hunter isn’t stopping here; he plans on bigger and better things. “My goals for next year are already set. I plan to make all state first team and want to be known as the best defensive player in the state.” said Kaupiko.

All of these accomplishments and awards that Hunter has gotten has made college coaches take notice of him.

“This year already I’ve been in contact with college programs. I’ve been talking to Hawaii and that’s where I’m from so that’s pretty cool and a few mountain west conference schools.” said Kaupiko.

Hunter’s teammates have high respect for him as a player and person. Senior wide receiver Dalton Kincaid said, “ Hunter Kaupiko is a straight up dog on the football field, and he is not a kid he is a grown man out there playing.”

Dalton thinks that Hunter will play at the next level.

“I believe he has a very good chance of playing at the next level with his passion and his drive.” said Kincaid.

It is exciting seeing players like Hunter get a chance to be recognized around Las Vegas. Given his work ethic and skill, don’t be surprised to see him receive national attention sooner than later.