Dance: is it really a team?

Lexi and Annika Lee dance at Ignite the Arts Credit: faithlutheran.org

From assemblies to sports games to charity events, the dancers represent Faith at a variety of different school functions. This confusion over dance’s new title as an “activity” instead of a sport has many students asking what this means for the dance team here on campus.

Dance teacher Ms. Harper has denied rumors of the dance team becoming an activity instead of a sport. Contrary to what has been said, dance has never been an NIAA recognized sport at Faith. However, the dance team is still under Coach Walter as they are recognized as a spirit team.

“We just aren’t required to have Crusader Cards” said Ms. Harper, “that’s the only difference.”

Crusader Cards allow athletes to try out and participate in sports by confirming that they are physically able to participate. They can be obtained by getting a physical packet that ca be printed off the school website, getting a sports physical, and turning it in to Ms. Fox.

Due to the competitive nature of dance, it is still not a club or activity. The dancers still have to compete for a spot on the team. “It’s a team that you have to try out to be a part of,” said Harper.

While the dancers do not require a Crusader Card anymore, their role on campus remains the same. “Their focus is more on helping the student body become more spirited and helping the student body be a better support system for the sanctioned athletic teams,” said Activities Director Mrs. Buuck when asked about the role of the dance team on campus.

The confusion surrounding the changes for the dance team this year has sparked false rumors causing students and faculty to question the role the team plays on campus. The dance team still continues to create school spirit and represent the school at a variety of different events.