Hollywood turns Maroon and Gold

I would drive 270 miles, and I would drive 270 more – wait – that’s not how that song goes. Making a song parody is one of the very few ways to entertain oneself on a four-hour drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles.

From watching reruns of “How I Met your Mother” to the newest episode of “The Bachelor,” all the boredom led to one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

The Faith Lutheran mission trip was a sobering experience for students who came from the high lifestyle of the Summerlin hierarchy. The transition from the Vintner Grill in Summerlin to the food banks of L.A. was a complete 180, but they received a reward more precious than any amount of overpriced cocktails and cuisines.

“There were several people in need over there, a majority of people who can fill their needs every night, when these homeless can’t even fill their stomachs,” said junior, Dillon Pearse.

From this experience, students can look ahead in their future by looking back on the memories they made in L.A. By teaching the children of the future and feeding poor families in Peru, students on this mission trip learned a lot of valuable lessons through their service work.

“My [favorite] experience was helping the homeless and [seeing] how thankful they were for what we were trying to accomplish,” said Pearse.

After a long day of work, students reflected each day at the nightly devotions that occurred in the very classy, Super 8 hotel.

“It was just a great experience that changed my life, for back to back years now,” said senior, George Gialketsis.

With each new day on the mission trip came a different exposure to the problems this sinful world has. This trip taught everyone that and anyone can make a difference, even the privileged kids from Faith Lutheran.

If you feel compelled to join an adventure like this you can still sign up for the trip to Poland! You can contact Mr Crowder (Room 116) Or if you want to RSVP for the mission trip you can talk to Mrs. Buuck in the gym.