Not Just Grades: Student of the Month

What qualifications must you have to win Student of the Month?  Most students think the award is all about grades, but it is way more than that. “I think it’s someone who get’s good grades, is really nice to people, and is making a difference in the school,” said Taylor Wershey. The teachers of Faith do not base everything on grades, but more of character.  “I look at not only how they are to teachers, but how they treat other students in the school and how they talk about other students and generally if they treat them with respect or not.” said Mrs. Fontana.

Every month, the teachers have the choice to send an email nominating a student that they think is worthy of this award. The teachers must write about what qualifies the student, not just list the name. “Last month I nominated Hannah Pavlov because she never is self seeking or self serving. She’s an excellent student, she works very hard, she get’s good grades, but more than that she is always looking out for someone else’s best interest. She’s always kind and compassionate and is a great team player. That is what I look for in students,” said Mrs. Fontana.

Hannah Pavlov has won Student of the Month twice since she has been at Faith Lutheran. “I try to be nice to people and be up lifting. I love helping people and I always try to smile. I think you have to be a good Christian example and live your life trying to help others and not bring other people down,” said Pavlov. Winning the award is a big accomplishment for some, but Taylor Wershey thinks other wise. “Winning student of the month is a big deal for people but I don’t think about it a lot. For me, it’s trying to do good in school with good grades and being nice to people. So it’s not something that I need to win an award for,” said Wershey

February’s Student of the Month was Jacob Deaville and Hunter Dickerson. “I took part in Mock Trial, the Lion’s Club Speech Competition, Moot Court, and I’m a State Champion football player. I don’t think I deserve it. When they were reading off I thought it was about Hunter Dickerson, but he won right after me which was funny. It’s God, not me. I was blessed with certain abilities and I’m just here to use them. It’s God working through me.” said Jacob Deville, senior. Jacob has a great reputation at Faith Lutheran and is loved by many students on the campus. “He’s so Christ centered and he radiates excellence.” said Hayden Sollois.

Congratulations to future and past winners! Keep the good work up Crusaders!