Putting your criminal mind to the test

Sarah Butler

One of the sections of the Forensics course will be fingerprint analysis.

Criminal Minds, NCIS and CSI are popular shows among teenagers and that is one of the many reasons Faith Lutheran added a new class to the Justice and Advocacy program.

Ms. Uy, Director of J&A, is starting a new interactive science class that investigates beyond a crime scene in the fall.  The forensic science course explores the backgrounds and fingerprints of criminal investigation.

“The students in this course are taught the fundamentals of a criminal investigation and how it is applied in a court of law.

Forensic science is one of the fastest growing fields in the country and is a vital part of the criminal justice system, it an ever-changing field that has spurred much interest among young adults.

— Ms. Uy

Donald Sea and Zach Smith, both freshmen in honors biology,  have different opinions towards this department.

“To be honest, this class does not interest me at all because I am more into the physics side of science.” Sea said.

“I think it is an interesting concept to study and it’s something that you don’t typically study so I thought I should put it as one of my alternate classes,” Smith said.

Faith Lutheran, being a college prep school, students need to start thinking about their career and future. Ms. Uy explains that if you watch Law and Order, Dexter, or CSI then this is the class for you.

“Forensic science is a great establishment to kids looking to be in the police force or involved in forensics,” said Mr. Buikema, guidance counselor.

“I want to be a criminal profiler when I am older so this class has everything to do with my career, so I applied to this class,” said freshman Courtney Wardle.

With our expanding campus, Faith Lutheran is providing more classes that interest our personalities.  Whether it is computers, art, or science we are a very fortunate that are school equips us with such an array of options to choose from.