Cafeteria food: Knowing your options

Cafeteria food is a touchy subject for students at Faith Lutheran. Many students love the taste of it, but wish some of the main dishes contain healthier options.

Students like Victoria Feldman, would like to see a healthier variety of choices. “They have salad, but they need more healthy options,” said Feldman.

The healthier options provided include much more than just salad. They serve 3 different types of salad, deli sandwiches, fruit cups, apples, bananas, vegetable cups and naked juices.

“Vegetarian options are a good source and should be added… the main [dish] is chicken fingers, so I think they should expand on their options,” said Kassidy Antonino.

What some students don’t know, is that the chef loves to hear what students want; so they can please the students. “Students can ask the chef ahead of time; he will make whatever they need- like vegetarian or gluten free [food],” said kitchen staff member, Christina.

The kitchen staff tries their best to accommodate with students who have special health needs, and those who just like to eat healthier food. However, it is hard to do so because other high school students would rather eat fried chicken fingers, fries, ice cream and other “really good snacks that [the cafeteria provides],” said Feldman.

Chef Mario and Greg strive to create a menu that will please all of the students here at Faith Lutheran. If you have any requests or suggestions, the kitchen staff would love to hear what you have to say.