Pledging our Allegiance

Students saying the pledges once a week in chapel.

Faith Lutheran students and staff did a tremendous job transitioning back to full-time school after months of online learning. However, one thing some very observant students noticed that was missing is the Pledge of Allegiance to both the American Flag and the Christian Flag. Here at Faith it is tradition that we say those solemn pledges once a week during chapel. For almost a year after coming back on campus we did not say them at all. In September of this year, the pledges were spoken for the first time since the pandemic began.
Students have been questioning why we, as a private school, do not recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag the way public schools in Nevada currently do. Students feel that now, more than ever, is the time for our country to put aside our differences and unite together. Hopefully we can all agree that by saying the Pledge of Allegiance together we are showing what a blessing it is to be in a country where we get the freedom to choose our destinies and boundless opportunities.

The Clark County School District Regulation 6113.3 states that “Time should be taken to discuss what the flag and the flag salute represent. When saluting, students are to stand and face the flag, stand at attention and place the right hand over the heart, and repeat as follows:

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.””

Just as we say a prayer every morning with the student council, we should pledge to the Christian Flag, and the American Flag. “I feel like we should do it every morning with our announcements. Our speakers work so I don’t know why we aren’t doing it,” said Brock Barnes, a high school student at Faith Lutheran. Ruby Tavano, another patriotic high school student, said, “I think we should start doing it so we can honor the people that serve our country.”

Plenty of students are ready to start saying the pledges every day. “I grew up in this country. I said the pledge everyday going to school,” said Dr. Buuck (CEO), “I am a proud American. I love to pledge my own allegiance to the flag.” Though he noted that the decision is not up to him, but the principles of both the middle school and high school.

Faith Lutheran’s middle school principal, Mrs. Sarah Harper, seemed more than excited about the idea. “I am a very proud American. I believe strongly in what that means, to pledge allegiance to our country, and I am also a woman of faith. It is very important to me to pledge my belief and allegiance to Christ”, said Harper.

One possible issue with including these pledges in our everyday routines is that teachers and students may complain about the extra time it takes to pledge our allegiances. In an interview, I asked Mrs. Harper how she felt about this possibly being a problem and she thinks that saying pledges would be important to every teacher on this campus.

Faith Lutheran’s high school principal, Mr. Scott Fogo, thinks “it’s not a bad idea at all”. He thinks that the reason we haven’t done it this whole time is because we like to do it as a school and it has been this way since he got here 11 years ago. “I don’t think anybody’s really thought about it, so I’m glad you are,” said Fogo.

The Director of Student Life, Mrs. Julie Buuck, also grew up saying the Pledge of Allegiance and does not know why Faith only does it once a week. “Now that we are into a rotation with the morning prayer, it would be a great idea to do it,” said Buuck. She was concerned with the fact that teachers may not be happy with the extra 30 seconds taken away from class time. Miss McDaniel, who reviews the daily prayers, said that “we can definitely include that in the daily announcements. Usually each morning we have a verse of the day, the announcements, and a prayer. I don’t think it would be a big deal, especially if we are seeing the importance of supporting our nation as well as the Christian flag.”

Saluting the flags should be a part of the daily opening exercises and would be a positive change for Faith Lutheran Middle School and High School.