Faith Students Make a Difference in Oklahoma

If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 4:11

It was a chilly morning with the sun scarcely risen on October 25, 2013, when thirty-nine determined students left their comfortable homes in Vegas and traveled to Oklahoma City for five days with Mrs. Wheat to make a difference and serve the Oklahoma community. Mrs. Wheat wanted to “start a little bit of a fire in students in serving people and see the joy it brings”.

The goal of the trip was to grow deeper in faith by serving the Lord as well as serving others and to help others grow in their faith.   Inner city work was done to serve the local needs of the city and its people from the desolation of the tornado.

On the first day of volunteering, students were split up into two groups. Some went to Goodwill, where they worked in the Victim’s Services division that dealt with tornado survivors, while the others offered their helping hands at Sheds of Hope. Sheds of Hope is a campaign where volunteers help rebuild Moore, Oklahoma one shed at a time. The sheds are free, permanent storage built by volunteers where victims of the devastation can securely store their belongings.

This journey to Oklahoma proved to be a success through the hard work and determination of many Faith students. It just shows how blessed Faith Lutheran is that we can minister God’s word and serve others through Him.