Faith Lutheran mourns the loss of lacrosse star

Photo+caption%3A+Jeremy+Hubers+freshman+lacrosse+portrait+for+Johns+Hopkins+2015+season.%0APhoto+by+unknown.+

Photo caption: Jeremy Huber’s freshman lacrosse portrait for Johns Hopkins’ 2015 season. Photo by unknown.

The Faith community comes together to mourn a death of a close friend and brother. Jeremy Huber, a Johns Hopkins freshman defenseman was found dead in his dorm room this past Monday morning.

Jeremy Huber, a Las Vegas native, was a 6-foot-1-inch, 205 pound lacrosse player with a bright future. Huber had attended West Tech Career and Technical Academy, while playing for a near public school, Palo Verde, since West Tech does not have a lacrosse program. Jeremy was a four-time All-American lacrosse player, and led his team to a pair of Nevada State Championships.

“Jeremy played on 2 travel teams with my son, plus I also knew him through playing lacrosse for Palo,” said James Gravitt, Faith Lacrosse Coach.

In late 2014 he had graduated as the salutatorian with an outstanding grade point average of 4.8. Jeremy’s mother, Nancy Huber stated in an interview with the Baltimore Sun,

“He was a salutatorian at West Career and Technical Academy in Las Vegas,” said Nancy. “A ‘B’ in the second semester of his senior year prevented him from graduating as the valedictorian.”

Jeremy started his first year at Johns Hopkins in the fall of 2014 studying cognitive sciences and playing Division I lacrosse for the Blue Jays.

Connor Pori, a close friend of Huber and his family, received an email from the Palo Verde lacrosse coach Monday morning.

“I had received an email from Coach Lovejoy, it stated that Jeremy had passed away last night in his sleep and it is very tragic,” said Pori. “He did not want it to spread on social media. He wanted it to be a private moment of grieving.”

Monday afternoon, posts flooded social media of the latest news about Jeremy. Students from Faith Lutheran, Palo Verde, West Tech, and other schools in Nevada showed their sympathy toward the Huber family.

“It’s crazy to see the whole community come together [on social media] and all show their support,” said Krystal Petersen, senior, a close friend of Huber. “Even people that didn’t know him at all are showing their sympathy toward the situation.”

Huber’s death was unexpected. “No way, not Jeremy. They’ve got the wrong kid,” said Petersen. “He was always so happy, never did he show a negative attitude toward anything, win or lose, he always had a smile on his face.”

Jeremy was well known throughout many schools and teams across the country. Being the best defenseman in the league and touching many lives, his death left many people curious on what would happen next. Players had decided that every game they play for the rest of the season will be played in honor of Jeremy.

James Gravitt, Faith lacrosse coach states, “This is a brotherhood.  It doesn’t matter to me that Jeremy played for Palo Verde, he will go on being honored by our team on our helmets and on our jerseys and in our hearts.”

Huber’s cause of death has not been determined, but Maryland Police officials are still investigating. An autopsy is pending.