Faith becomes Apple Distinguished School

Apple recognizes Faith for using technology to improve student education

Jonathan Orr

Faith Lutheran CEO Dr. Steven Buuck, Middle School Principal Ms. Sarah Heislen, and High School Principal Mr. Scott Fogo hold the Apple Distinguished School certificate. The award shows Faith as officially recognized by Apple for outstanding student education with the use of technology.

After five years of using Apple technology to educate students, in November 2013 Faith Lutheran received the honor of becoming an Apple Distinguished School, a recognition only 2000 schools worldwide have.

Apple describes the award as something that recognizes the school as outstanding in “innovation, leadership, and educational excellence”. This means that the school stands out for its teachers, faculty, staff, use of Apple technology, and overall student experience.

Applying to become an Apple Distinguished School means filling out a short application and creating a book for Apple to review. The book took over a month for Faith teachers to create and three months for Apple to evaluate. Faith Lutheran submitted their 22-page iBook in September of 2013. Educational Technology Coordinator Mr. Jonathan Orr and eight others were in charge of creating the book for Apple.

It completes the vision we set forward five years ago.

— Dr. Steven Buuck

“We had to make an extensive iBook. It had movies in there documenting what we have done and also a lot of written things,” Orr said. “We had to demonstrate five competencies that Apple identified as being a good school.”

The limited amount of schools and teachers who have received this award show what a big honor it is.

“Its obviously a very exclusive club to be in,” Orr said. “It’s good to have some third party, or external recognition that you are doing great stuff. It’s very honoring.”

Dr. Steven Buuck, Faith Lutheran CEO, believes that the award represents the respectability of Faith, but serves as a reminder that you can always do better farther down the road.

“This award is really an affirmation of a vision we had five years ago. We said, can we create a culture where students don’t need to power down when they come to school?” Dr. Buuck said. “And I think that the award is a real pat on the back and completes the vision that we set forward five years ago.”

As head of Faith Lutheran, Dr.Buuck also played a role in creating the iBook.

“I had to speak from an administrative standpoint, like the cost involved in implementing this. But the credit on the iBook and application really goes to Mr. Orr and a number of teachers involved.”

With this respectable title, Faith Lutheran students realize the impact of the Apple technology on their education.

“I think it really enriches our education because the school is so advanced,” eighth grade student Sadie Oakley said. “Plus when we go to college we will already know how to use the computers there because of Apple.”

Along with the privilege of using Apple technology, students also recognize the importance of the award.

“It’s a great honor for the school, they deserve it. Besides, they spend a lot of money on these products.” Seventh grader Heabin Pyo says. Pyo believes that it shows a lot about Faith Lutheran, including how Faith gives everyone hands on learning experience.

Oakley also agrees with Pyo that Faith is definitely worthy of the award.

“I think it’s a huge honor and it shows how advanced our school is. ” Oakley said.

Overall, the award is an incredible privilege, and represents the wonderful educational experience Faith Lutheran provides.