Eighth graders visit Washington D.C. for presidential inauguration

Eighth graders pose for a picture in front of the U.S. Capital Building, one of the many historical landmarks they visited while on their trip.

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017, a group of teachers and eighth grade students departed to Washington D.C. for the presidential inauguration. Throughout the entire trip, students and teachers visited a variety of Washington D.C.’s famous museums and memorials with the whole trip revolving around Inauguration Day.

On Inauguration Day, the tour group commuted to Capital Hill, where they had the chance to participate in Inaugural activities, such as parades and a concert. After the inauguration, everyone got dressed up in formal attire for a dinner and dance cruise, on the boat The Spirit of Mount Vernon. The group enjoyed a special inaugural ball while sailing down the Potomac River.

Participants in this year’s ceremony looked forward to seeing a concert, parades, and the president swearing into office. Attendants of the inaugural concert or other inaugural events even saw performances by select members of the Rockettes, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Toby Keith, and 3 Doors Down. Sixteen-year-old, Jackie Evancho, also performed the national anthem. The parade, however, was shorter than previous inaugurations. The 8,000 people who marched in the parade included police, drill teams, and high school and college bands. Overall, Inauguration Day had a normal schedule compared to past years.

While many supporters attended the ceremony, protesters were scattered around the capital protesting a variety of subjects surrounding the presidency. The U.S. capital city braced themselves for thousands of people who voiced their opinions on different causes or opposition to the election. Throughout Inauguration Day and the many days that surrounded it, protests took place across the country.

This year, there was more security at the Inauguration than at both of Obama’s previous inaugurations. The security expenses were expected to exceed 100 million dollars and 3,200 police officers from across the country provided protection along the parade route. Even though the expected overall number of audience members was 800,000 – 900,000, it was significantly smaller than Obama’s attendance of 1.8 million this past inauguration, and extra security was needed to control the crowds.

The student’s trip was busy from morning to night, so they didn’t have much time for leisure or homework. People who attended the trip missed two full days of school and were not exempt from any make up work.

“I am a little nervous for all the absent work I will get but I will try to do most of it before the trip and whatever is left I’ll find some time to do it,” said eighth grader, Reese Rivera.

Besides the make up work, students were apart of numerous enjoyable activities that may have canceled out any stress student may have experienced, and changed their over all opinion of the trip.

“I’m super excited for this trip because it’s a really cool opportunity for me and I’m looking forward to being in D.C., and seeing our President Elect inaugurated into office,” said Rivera.

This trip gave students a chance to learn about the capital of our country, and the once in a lifetime opportunity to see the 45th president get inaugurated into office.