Online vs. In Person School – Online is Better

Fully online and hybrid school is looking to be the new normal for Faith Lutheran and many schools around the world. Some students enjoy being able to learn in a classroom while others prefer to learn from the comfort of their own home. In my opinion, having the opportunity to learn from home is better than having to go to school.

Although being at school can be socially interactive, for some students it can be frightful. And for others, who have trouble interacting in general or with specific students, it can be a break from that pressure. For example, in 2017, 20 percent of students confessed to being bullied. So, having more time at home than at school can be helpful when students have problems with other students, the worst being serious bullying situations, which can lead to upsetting emotional states.

Many guardians of students at Faith work from home during these times. This gives students the opportunity to get closer to their families. Online school also provides a more comfortable environment for students. This comfortable state includes getting to make or order your own lunch with more choices to choose from. When eating from your own fridge it is also cheaper than buying lunch every day. Another great thing about being in the comfort of your own home is the coziness. Being comfortable is super important to teens. You could even say that teenagers could give you expert advice on how to be comfortable. This type of comfort during the school day might include fuzzy socks, soft blankets, and nice smelling candles in your workspace. Also, when at home you can control the temperature of your environment, eliminate the need to make a pass to go to the library or the bathroom, or even to fill up your water bottle more easily. In this sense, being comfortable can help you focus and enjoy learning because of the environment you’re in.

One of the typical things teenagers struggle with is getting enough sleep to be able to function properly and do their best. When you’re staying home there is no need to drive anywhere, so you get some additional sleep in the mornings before your first class starts. “Both the National Sleep Foundation and the American Academy of Sleep Medicine agree that teens need between 8 and 10 hours of sleep per night. Getting this recommended amount of sleep can help teens maintain their physical health, emotional well-being, and school performance.” The last national survey was taken from 2007-2013. They discovered that 69 percent of high school students get less than seven hours of sleep per night. Therefore, it is crucial to get as much sleep as possible. Teenagers tend to have a “night owl” sleep schedule, which means staying up later at night and sleeping in on mornings. There have been studies proving that teens take longer to produce melatonin which is a hormone that helps you fall asleep.

On a typical school day, every minute counts when you are overwhelmed with work. Being at home is very helpful in this circumstance. Instead of taking the eight-minute passing period to walk to your next class, you can use that time to do some last-minute studying or an assignment you forgot to finish.

Here at Faith, we have Advisory at least three days a week. Advisory used to be a free period for students to do homework, study, and get prepared for their next two classes of the day, but now it seems to be tied up with other obligations.  In my experience, when at home, teachers often let us out of the zoom call early, especially before advisory. Giving us more time to be productive or take a break to reset for the next class. When we acquire this free time some productive things we do are studying for and tests, quizzes, or projects coming up, do present and future assignments, and take part in other academically supportive school functions and activities.

The majority of online and hybrid students would argue that learning at home is easier. Teenagers enjoy having leniency and managing their own responsibility. Giving students the responsibility to manage their time and keep up their grades is helpful to students. It gives off a sense of accomplishment and contentment. Time is precious and when doing online school, we get more of it.

A survey conducted by Faith administration is coming out soon to find out how you are feeling about the experience, so keep an eye out in your email.