Coach and teacher, Amy Fisher

Amy+Fisher+gives+the+the+Varsity+Volleyball+insightful+advice+during+a+timeout.+

Amy Fisher gives the the Varsity Volleyball insightful advice during a timeout.

Amy Fisher found the opportunity to teach at Faith Lutheran by chance. At the time, she was only planning to stay at Faith Lutheran about 5 years. Now, she enters her 17th year as both a coach and a teacher.

From a young age, Fisher was constantly surrounded by sports. She started playing volleyball in the seventh grade and continued all through high school. She went on to play volleyball at Luther College in Northeast Iowa to continue her love and passion for the game. Fisher said she enjoyed being at a small college. “It was a great experience because of the fact that you were an athlete and a student.”

After playing in college, Fisher went on to become a college coach for a few different schools, and she even made it to a national championship while coaching at Northern Michigan University. Fisher says, “The reason I coach volleyball is probably because of my high school coach, because I liked her coaching style and how she did things.” After coaching for various colleges, Fisher got a job at Faith as a teacher. Because her previous teaching experience was at the collegiate level, she was a bit unsure about teaching high school, but she soon grew to love it.

Many of the students at Faith Lutheran who have ever had her have great things to say about her, and the way she teaches. Josh Fortner said, ”I think she’s a really good teacher, and I like her style of teaching.” He also says, “She puts a lot of detail into the slides we go over, and I feel she helps me to understand the material.”

Other than teaching for high school, it was also Fisher’s first time being a high school volleyball coach. Throughout the years of coaching volleyball at Faith Lutheran, she has had many successes. This year, the girl’s varsity volleyball team tied for 3rd in state in Division 4A, which is a huge accomplishment. Also this year, Fisher earned the title of 300 career wins, which is an accomplishment that most coaches can only dream about. Anna Massari says, “Fisher is an amazing coach and probably the best I have ever had. She has helped me immensely to improve and become the player and person I am today.”

When talking about volleyball, Fisher says, “I still get nervous when I coach, and I think that’s a great sign because when I’m done being nervous then I shouldn’t be coaching anymore because I truly care about the game and the young women I coach.”