Crusader Chronicle

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Soccer Stars Talk Commitment

Madison+Stenslie+shows+off+her+strong+stride+as+she+warms+up+before+Faith%27s+big+game.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Soccer Stars Talk Commitment

Madison Stenslie shows off her strong stride as she warms up before Faith's big game.

Three years apart, committed to colleges over 2,000 miles apart, all on one field for the season. Madison Stenslie, senior, and Jordan Brown, freshman, are both on Faith Lutheran’s varsity soccer team.

Madison Stenslie committed to the University of Kentucky her freshman year with plenty of high school playing time ahead of her. She is now in her senior season and the reality of her playing at the D1 level is only helping her grind. “As soon as I stepped on campus I knew it was the place for me. I loved the architecture and the scenery on campus. The coaching staff as well as the academic advisors really care about you as a person and student just as much as they do as an athlete so it really makes you feel motivated to excel and push yourself in both aspects.”

Freshman Jordan Brown, recently committed to the University of Southern California with the same love for the school as Stenslie felt at Kentucky. “USC offered an extremely high scholarship for athletics, I love all the coaches, the campus is amazing, and I wanted to get into sports medicine which they just so happen to have the highest program in the country for that major,” she said.

The two varsity stars use their free future education to help them excel on the field in every game while still in high school. In the weight room, on the field in practice, and during game time the girls push their selves to the literal next level. “This is the last year to make sure I am prepared physically and mentally for the college game,” Stenslie said. “I want to make an impact when I attend and even aim to help them win a national championship,” Brown said.

Teammate Hannah Thomas has played with Madison for three years. The two have grown together through wins and losses with Faith’s team and club teams. “She has good communication and strong leadership on the field,” Thomas said.

The two commits have goals for this season with the 4 Nevada Ranked team. Madison Stenslie looks to lead a young varsity team and Jordan Brown is in for the big win. “My personal goals for this season are to be the best leader I can be on and off the field making sure I’m making the right decisions for myself and team at all times,” Stenslie said. “My team goal is to at least make it to the final four and possibly even win the state championship,” Brown said.

Faith Lutheran soccer plays at home this Tuesday, October 2, 2018, at 4 p.m. The team is 5-0 as they head into the Rancho game. Watch my interview with the two players above.

About the Writer
Madyson DeSpain, Sports Editor

Madyson, senior at Faith Lutheran, is in her fourth year of broadcast journalism. Maddy is a reporter and anchor in the Film and Broadcast Academy. She...