Crusader Chronicle

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Interception makes history

Keagan Touchstone, #9, catches an interception from Aubréy Nélléms o add to the Crusaders lead.

Three seasons in the making, Faith Lutheran’s “highest points scored before halftime” record, was broken by class of 2019 free safety, Keagan Touchstone.

As if the Crusaders didn’t have a big lead already, earlier in second quarter with a sore of 28-0 against Bakersfield Christian, the score board continued to add up points. It’s biggest addition before halftime, for the first time in years. Keagan Touchstone went up for an interception after a pass from Bakersfield Christian quarterback, Dominic Gamboni, and found himself running it into the Crusader end zone 78 yards away.

“When you improve your vision on the field you just become all around one step above your opponent,” Touchstone said. This ball was the seniors 12 career interception, along with the new school record. He says he trains every week against Faith’s committed quarterback, Sagan Gronauer, for plays like this one.

“Just keep working and practicing. Sometimes it gets hard and you will want to quit but you have to keep pushing and it will pay off,” Touchstone said. He plans to use his dedication to the game on and off the field to impress the eye of college coaches for himself and the entire Faith Lutheran team.

“My personal biggest goal is to pull in more offers. My goal for the team is to win state,” Touchstone said. Early into his senior year, he has an offer from the University of Redlands and the University of San Diego, but looks forward to receiving more throughout this season.

The Crusader’s won August 31 game against Bakersfield Christian with a final score of 42-28. The team heads into conference play this Friday 7 p.m. at Cimarron-Memorial. According to MaxPreps, they rank at number eight in Nevada with a record of 1-3 so far.