Business students swim with sharks

The 3 “sharks” of the shark tank judging students giving a presentation.

It’s Thursday morning at 9 am. The library is closed and inside the Faith Lutheran Shark Tank; James Gravitt, Hailey Gravitt, and Patrick Connolly, sit patiently at a table with pens and paper in hand.

Behind them are students from the Faith Lutheran Business and Entrepreneurship class working to add the finishing touches on their business presentations. Their assignment: create a business pitch for James Gravitt’s company “Headwrapz” and design a laptop decal as well.

“Alright who’s up first?” Mr. Connolly asks. The room stops. Avery Barela, senior, turns her head the other way while Mr. Connolly surveys and locks his gaze on the group in the corner. The group including people such as seniors, Michael Flangas and Don Giuliano shuffles up to the front and begins their presentation.

For the next 30 minutes the process goes on. Each group presents their pitch and laptop decal while Mr. Gravitt and Mr. Connolly ask them questions throughout. Seemingly the most intimidating, Mr. Gravitt, asks questions while informing groups and also remaining humorous.

There is a slight change in mood in when the second group including previously seemingly shy senior, Avery Barela, comes up and adds a musical feature in their presentation about wrapping music amplifiers- provided by Jon Rahi, also a senior.

The presentations go on. By the last group, energy in the room has gone down. As the last group finishes, the three sharks close their notebooks as Mr. Connolly announces to students when the winner will be announced.