Thanksgiving feast provides international students with opportunities

Members of the International Students Association celebrated Thanksgiving on campus together this past week thanks to their teacher, Mrs. Abigail Gunzelman.

The ISA gathered to celebrate a traditional American Thanksgiving meal. They ate turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and salad among other traditional Thanksgiving dishes. The smiles shown on their faces show they are filled with happiness. Not only did this activity bring happiness for the students, but also brought the comprehension of Thanksgiving to them in a special way.

Mrs. Gunzelman sponsored the party to give the international students an American Thanksgiving. “For international students to be able to experience as their parts of experiences of the culture of America, and it is a good opportunity for them to connect with each other and with the teachers as well,” said Gunzelman.

The luncheon brings together a new family for the international students while their families are not beside with them here in America.  Faith teacher Dr. Nuoffer, also participated in the event,  “We want the international students to experience the joys that we have.”

Because the ISA members are from different countries and have different cultural backgrounds, this celebration is a new experience for them. Xiao Yi Yuan, one of the ISA students from China, said that she was really thankful about “learning at Faith and meeting the nice teachers”.

Phuong Nguyen is a Vietnamese girl in the ISA. This was the “first time for her to spend time celebrating with such a huge family.” Nguyen said she thought that the ISA makes her feel warm and happiness all the time, which left an unforgettable memory in her mind.

After eating the wonderful meal prepared by faculty members,  ISA students enjoyed playing games and spending time together as a “family.”

The kindness and selflessness of Mrs. Gunzelman creating this Thanksgiving was a true blessing to these students because even though they are far away from home on the other side of the Pacific, they can still feel like family here at Faith Lutheran.

Mrs. Gunzelmen said that she believes that the kids will be more independent and brave in the future and she was very proud that the International Student Association had a warm and Happy Thanksgiving.