Moving up the ranks in competition

Sarah Butler

Photo caption: NIAA trophies accumulated over the years. Photo by Sarah Butler

Faith Lutheran provides an athletic, academic, and religious environment. With many athletes and scholars at Faith Lutheran, our school wins many state championships. With the NIAA realignment some athletes feel like there is very little competition in the league division 1A. Varsity athletes Tayah Washington and Blake Giuliani, both sophomores, elaborate on the competition.

“I don’t think we have any competition at all, when we played Gorman and beat them it was just so fun to know that we can beat one of the best athletic schools in the country. I also feel like our team would have more fun knowing that we have to work really hard to beat a exceptional team,” said Washington.

“The baseball team now in this division is a joke and we crush every team we play. But since Spring Valley and Sierra Vista moved down to division 1A there will be a bit more competition,” said Giuliani.

Assistant High School Athletic Director, Ms. Fisher, clarifies why the realignment has affected the students since we have moved down to division 1A and the way our teams play as a whole.

“I think if we did move up it would be competitive for all of our teams, it just kind of depends on the line and who they put us with, and whom we are not with,” said Fisher.

Head High School Athletic Director, Mr. Walter, clears up a frequently asked question, “when will our school change divisions?”

The realignment process is starting and if anything changes it will change after the 2016 school year. There are a lot of proposals being discussed right now and a lot of things that have to be worked out from now and then, but the bottom line is we don’t know for sure but it’s a possibility,” said Walter.

Whether or not Faith Lutheran moves up into a more competitive division, the sportsmanship will remain the same. Faith Lutheran instills values that will last a lifetime on, and off the field. For now Faith will remain in division 1A scooping up state championships left and right.