Don’t fear the flu

Sneezing, coughing, aching, oh my! We’ve all had the flu, the dreaded sickness of the fall and winter seasons.

“The flu mist is important to consider because in the winter time we share so many bugs, that the flu becomes very prominent,” said nurse Ramona.

Faith Lutheran offers students and faculty the opportunity to get the flu mist as flu season approaches. In a survey, 82% of students who responded said that they did not receive the flu mist this year, while 18% did. Although the majority of students chose not to get the vaccine, 69% think it is beneficial.

Students and teachers have contradicting opinions about the flu vaccine. “I think it actually does counteract the viruses and the bacteria in your system,” said Mr. Elliott.

Many students get the vaccine because they believe it helps strengthen the immune system and improve one’s chances of not catching the flu.

On the other hand, some think that if you get the vaccine you are more prone to getting the sickness.

Although Faith does not provide the shot, those who decide to get the vaccine have two options: the flu shot or the flu mist. The flu shot is offered to adults and children six and up. For those who do not like receiving shots, the flu mist may be the preferred option.

The flu mist is a live vaccine, which cannot give the actual flu but sometimes can cause side effects such as a runny nose, coughing, sneezing, or a sore throat.

While the flu vaccine is encouraged my many health professionals, “you also have to consider that there are hundreds of viruses and the CDC picks 4 viruses that they look at and think are the most prominent and that’s what they put in the flu mist,” said nurse Ramona.

Getting the flu vaccine can help prevent the flu, but it cannot guarantee a person from getting a virus that is not covered by the vaccine.

Several students who do not get the vaccine try to prevent the flu in a few ways. They wash their hands many times throughout the day and they “stay away from sick people,” said Riley Rowland, senior.

So whether you decide to get the flu vaccine or not, be aware of your health and surroundings to prevent the flu from spreading like wildfire this season.