Fire Causes A Day Off

CC staff

The day after the fire, clean up is already underway.

In Las Vegas, we haven’t missed school because of snow, tornados or floods.  For the first time since many of us have been at Faith, school has been cancelled because of solar panels, or at least that is the word on the street.

At around 4:40, May 14, allegedly a solar panel of the main classroom building caught on fire. The fire was quickly extinguished. There were some employees and students still on campus, but were evacuated promptly.  Stephanie Cannito with human resources was assisting in Mock Trial, an after school activity.  Cannito said the students weren’t in the building but were alarmed to see the fire.

“I thought for sure it was a huge fire with all the smoke that was coming up, yeah I thought it was in the building,”said Cannito.

At around 8:30 PM, phones rang with the message of school has been cancelled. The rumor of no school spread faster than the fire itself. Dr. Buuck’s message assured students and parents that the fire was very minor, and there were no injuries of any kind, but there was some smoke and water damage. The cancellation of school is due to the air conditioning having to be turned off as the smoke clears and a few of the classrooms are repaired from the damage. The real cause of the fire is under investigation.

Unfortunately, not everybody is getting a break. AP students must report to school tomorrow at 8AM. The upside, is that if you do have to take a test tomorrow, there is free dress! Also, the middle school Musical Festival trip to California is still on. The CPAC, gym, portables, and Student Center are still safe.

Have a safe four day weekend Crusaders. Be ready to be back to school on Monday!