Mac-Madness

Mac-Madness

Paul Stephens & Sabrina Hinh

March Madness started off with a bang on Thursday March 20th with many exciting close games and upsets. Many Students and teachers had their brackets filled out and were excited to check scores and watch games in their free time during the school day. Although this was great for the students; all this online streaming commenced “Madness” throughput our tech department. They have blocked all websites in the school dealing with the Cache of “Sports” in general.

“Our band-width was being over used by students and teachers to watch March Madness and streaming,” says Mr. Zois, member of the I.T Department.

This meant that all this online streaming was causing problems for students and teachers to do regular school activities. As well as the I.T Department, this caused “Madness” throughout our teachers and student’s Mac computers.

“It was a little ridiculous that I couldn’t even check the results of my track meet the other day,” stated Chase Wood, sophomore.

Some of the student body thought that blocking all websites that included sports did take it a little overboard. “What is overboard is when our band-width is getting used up for something that is not school related. For how our system works, blocking the cache “Sports” was the only way to prevent this,” replied Mr. Chalfant, Head of the I.T department.

Teachers like Mr. Nelson have found their way around this problem. “I understand how this could take away from the classroom experience but this is one of the biggest events of the year for sports fans. I like to stay involved which is why I jokingly brought in my own television set to watch the games.”

One teacher brought in his own Wi-Fi hotspot so he didn’t have to use the school network to watch the games. Although the school has blocked all information about sports, there are still ways to stay updated on the exciting tournament. Blocking the sites is what was needed in order for teachers and students to get their schoolwork done. Mr Chalfant tells us “These websites will remain blocked until the tournament is over.”