Parking Lot Problems

Every teenager waits an excruciating fifteen and a half years until their parents give them the ultimate gift of freedom: driving and their own car. Students looks forward to the day when they no longer have to rely on their parents for rides to and from school, to friend’s houses, to practice, etc. Things get exciting sophomore year when most Faith students are able to obtain their permits, and by junior year, nearly all students will have a license in hand.

However, with that newly found freedom comes a huge responsibility, and unfortunately many students are not ready to take on that duty. With the number of students growing at Faith every year, the parking lot has grown more and more cramped. Therefore, alertness needs to be more of a factor when pulling into school and when leaving. Even in the past couple years, there have been numerous incidents such as a student hitting another car when backing up or pulling in, and hitting curbs, trees and posts.

Michael Owens, senior, had the side of his car hit when another student attempted to park in the spot next to him. When asked about the incident, Owens said, “It wasn’t entirely her fault. Our parking spots are pretty narrow, but I think people just need to drive more slowly and be a lot more cautious.”

Driving is a privledge that we should not take for granted, and no one wants to be in an accident. Therefore, when cruising through the school parking lot, driving slower and looking with extra caution is in the best interest of everyone.