The Varsity Freshman

Years ago,  Christian Marshall made a decision that would change his life forever, to play the game of football. He has played for five years, starting his football career in the fourth grade. “Some of my friends were playing flag football when I was younger, so I thought it would be fun to hang out with them and get to play a sport,” said Marshal, “also my dad had always wanted me to play football growing up he says it builds character.”

His inspiration came from many things throughout his years growing up. From his friends to his family, everyone has had an impact on Marshal’s career as a football player.  Marshall’s dad has helped show his son that even when things get tough, you have to keep going, by getting up at three and four in the morning almost everyday, Marshall shows his dedication to the game.

This inspiration has pushed Marshall to become the football player he is today and helped him to complete many of his personal goals. One of these goals came true with the rare but awe-inspiring accomplishment of making a Varsity sport as a Freshmen.

“I didn’t know how he would compete on Varsity in terms of his ability to come up and make tackles in space, but he’s proven to be aggressive and has actually made some big hits and several big plays this year,” said Head Football Coach Vernon Fox.

As for other players on the team, all of them agreed that it was a great idea to bring Marshall up to Varsity, ”He’s a great player and he has done pretty good with making five interceptions already. So he’s pretty good for a freshmen,” said Vinny DeGeorge.

Since Marshall moved up to Varsity, he has also secured a starting position on the Crusader Defense. “He’s great at blitzing, a good defensive back, and is good in coverage.” starting quarterback Jacob Deaville shares.

Marshall’s reaction to making Varsity was one of gratitude as well as surprise. With a couple of injuries at the start of the year, Coach Fox had to make the decision to bring Marshall up to Varsity knowing little about how well he would perform or who he was as a player. After the first game however, Coach Fox said it was an easy decision to know they were going to keep him on Varsity.

“I was just in the car driving home and Coach R.[olfsmeir], called me and said, ‘You’re on Varsity.”  Marshall didn’t know how to take the news. “I just was kind of in shock and said ’That’s cool.”