Illuminating the arts

Faith’s art department holds auction selling student art

Illuminating the arts

.”Illuminating the Arts is the name of this year’s FINE ART DEPARTMENT’s fundraiser” Ms. Uhlig said, a fine arts teacher at Faith Lutheran. The event sells multiple art pieces from all different ages ranging from middle school students, high school students, and Honors Art Society classes from Faith. After bidding on the art, people come to the auction in the Chapel and Performing Arts Center at Faith, wander through the various art pieces, and collect their winnings. The student art usually starts at about $50 when being bid on, but can vary depending on who bids and how much they bid. The website also gives an option to buy now, which raises the prices up to $950 but guarantees you the prize.

As well as student art, Illuminating the Arts sells other prizes such as reserved seats at Faith’s high school graduation, a movie box for 20 people at Red Rock Casino, a 2 night stay at the Mandalay Bay with 4 tickets to a Cirque du Soleil show of your choice, and even a two night stay at Arizona Biltmore, a Waldorf Astoria resort.

“Illuminating the Arts splits the money between dance, theatre, and visual arts programs to help fund for new supplies, because unlike other programs the Fine Arts have to replenish their supplies every year,” said Ms. Slater, Faith’s Dean of Fine Arts.

Supplies for the Fine Arts department need to be replaced as most of the supplies are paint brushes, paint, cameras, and clay. These supplies are one use only and need to be replaced yearly. Prices for the supplies add up quickly which is why all of the money is used to buy the new supplies.

“The students are given the  assignment and theme very early in the year.  These students are required to do an excellent job, or their work is not accepted and they risk being removed from the Conservatory,” said Ms. Uhlig,”I expect the highest quality of art after students have months of working and it is very important for them to do their best on the work that is being entered.”