Crusader Chronicle

Filed under A&E, News, Showcase

Upset at the Oscars

Photo caption: Producer of 'La La Land', Jordan Horowitz, holds up the correct envelope for the winner of Best Major Motion Picture, 'Moonlight'.

At the 2017 Oscar Awards, for the first time in history, the announcers given the envelope for Best Major Motion Picture received the wrong envelope and announced the wrong movie.

Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway announced the movie ‘La La Land’ as the winner for Best Major Motion Picture, but the actual winner was ‘Moonlight.’

The crew and cast members were in the midst of giving acceptance and thank you speeches when men in headsets came onstage and started taking away the Oscar trophies away from the ‘La La Land’ team.

Warren Beatty, who announced ‘La La Land’ as the winners, later stated that the envelope that he was given said “Emma Stone La La Land,” which was the envelope for the previous category Best Actress in a Major Motion Picture. Beatty apologized to everyone and explained that he was not trying to pull a prank.

PricewaterhouseCoopers, the company that counts the votes and prints the envelops for the Oscars, released a statement that said, “We sincerely apologize to Moonlight, La La Land, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, and the Oscar viewers for the error that was made during the award announcement for Best Picture.”

PricewaterhouseCoopers continued the statement thanking everyone involved for handling the situation with such grace. The situation is being investigated to prevent future mix ups from happening. Even though the cooperation made a statement explaining how the mishap occurred, not everyone is convinced that is what actually happened.

“Honestly, I think it was on purpose, to try to get publicity for the Oscars because if you think about it every time they make mistakes like this it’s never on the award that nobody cares about in the beginning, where there would actually be a mistake, it’s always the big award everyone cares about,” said Robert Flummerfelt, FLHS senior.

On the other hand, some feel that ‘La La Land’ was the rightful winner of the Best Picture Award.

“I personally didn’t like ‘Moonlight’ at all, I thought the script was really dry, but I think they deserved [the win] because ‘La La Land’ got a lot of praise. But, I still feel like ‘La La Land’ should have won because it’s one of the best movies I have seen all year, it’s super unique, the musical aspect and everything is so different from any movie that was made that year,” said FLHS senior, Ansley Burbank.

Regardless of the opinions of who should have won, ‘Moonlight’ was the chosen picture by the Academy. Students at Faith do agree with the statement made by PricewaterhouseCoopers that the ‘La La Land’ cast and crew handled the situation with grace and professionalism.

“They handled it very well, I was really surprised actually about how professional they were in giving the Oscar to the Moonlight crew. I haven’t really heard anything from the ‘La La Land’ cast and crew outside of that, they haven’t been complaining on Twitter,” said Flummerfelt.

Burbank agrees with Flummerfelt’s statement and said, “I think they handled it well, I think Emma Stone handled it especially well when she said that she “loved ‘Moonlight’,” and that she thought that they deserved to win.”