Ringing In the New School Year

With every end comes a new beginning, and the end of this year brings a new schedule for next year’s students. Staring next year, high school will begin at 7:45am, fifteen minutes earlier than this year. And high school collaboration days will only be five minutes earlier at 8:40am. For middle school, school will begin at 8:15am. High school will be getting out twenty minutes earlier at 2:40pm.

“The main reason is traffic, the traffic is getting so bad that the neighbors are getting mad. So we will separate it by half an hour now,” said Mr. Fogo. The extra thirty minutes should be just enough time for the high school to either get home or get to class by the time middle school arrives. “Another big reason [for the schedule change] is that [the] kids are missing so much because of sports,” said Mr. Fogo. The extra twenty minutes means students will be missing less school, so they don’t fall as far behind in their classes.

The third reason for the schedule change is chapel. Due to the increase of students on campus high school chapel will be split into two separate chapels. “Fifty kids right now that are in high school have to go to middle school, so in order to work that out we had to start separating the schedule,” said Mr. Fogo. The chapels will try to be separated by ninth and tenth grade then eleventh and twelfth grade, but will depend on the “heavy classes, such as having a junior in geometry,” said Mr. Fogo.

With the new schedule and the change of chapel, some students may be anxious  but most people “don’t have any concerns with it,” said Mrs. Jung. Furthermore, the new bell schedule “sounds good, ” said Zach Friel.   “The new schedule is nice because you will have more of your day after school,” said Jordan Morino.

Although the new schedule means waking up earlier, students don’t seem to be too disturbed by it and look forward to having more time after school to themselves.