Middle school students battle it out to be the next Middle School Mock Trial Champion

The Mock Trial program at Faith Lutheran is one that does exceptionally well; they have won three State Championships, placed 9th in the nation, and 6th in the world. One reason they are placing so high at national and world competitions is because as middle-schoolers they start training, so one day they can be a part of the phenomenal High School Mock Trial Program.

Every year the amount of middle schoolers interested in this program increases. The first Middle School Mock Trial competition only had four teams competing, and this year there were a total 20 teams competing, with 8 middle schoolers on each team.

The high schoolers who are in Faith Lutheran’s Trial and Advocacy class have to coach these middle schoolers as a grade and other high schoolers who are involved in the Mock Trial Program coach as well. Each team has two high school coaches and they work diligently for a month teaching the students what mock trial is, how to write directs and crosses, and helping them develop witness character so they are ready to compete in their first mock trial competition.

This experience is not only beneficial to the middle schoolers who get a head start on their mock trial journey, but also to the high schoolers who help them. Ryan Koppy describes the experience as “a great way to see the next generation of mockers who will eventually come to our program. It is great to see the people who will compete for Faith once I leave for college.”

The competition ran like the regional competition for the high schoolers, except the middle schoolers competed in one more round. Each team competed in at least 4 rounds going prosecution and defense 2 times each. After a long day of competing 2 teams made it to the championship round to battle it to see who will be the next Middle School Mock Trial champion. Those two teams were Team 5, coached by sophomore Ben Reese and senior Alex Cook, and Straight Outta Court, coached by freshmen Amanda Bailey and Olivia Shirey, along with sophomore Ally Coy. In the end, Straight Outta Court won the championship round and became the 2016-2017 Middle School Mock Trial Champions.

This year the talent in this competition was exceptional, all 20 teams did amazing and all of the middle schoolers and their coaches should be proud. This competition inspired the Mock Trial Program so much that they are also doing a Middle School Mock Trial Camp during the summer along with a Middle School Moot Court Camp.

If you or anyone you know is interested in joining the Mock Trial Program email [email protected] for more information on this program.