An open letter to freshmen

Photo caption: Take my advice from a senior.

Dear Freshmen,

Welcome to the next four “dreaded” years of your life. You’re officially a part of this crazy zoo we call high school. You’ve probably heard some good and some bad things but let me tell you, these next four years, aren’t going to be anything like Troy and Gabriella’s from High School Musical. However, what people don’t tell you is that you will get through it, and that the time will fly by. Before you know it, you will be walking across the stage accepting your diploma and heading off to college. How you start high school isn’t exactly how you’re going to finish it, so don’t worry if your best friend changes four or five times, or if your heart broken by that person you thought was the one, because there is so much more to high school than these silly little things. From upperclassman, these are the things we wish someone told us our freshman year.

Dear Freshmen girls,

If the drama seems bad now, just wait because it won’t get any better. However, all of it is silly. Yes, girls are going to be mean, they’re selfish, and they will be jealous of you. The most you can do though, is make as many friends as you can. Friends come and go, but the good ones always stay, and the ones that stay are the ones who love you most. Although upperclassmen can be scary “become friends with them, and learn from their mistakes” said Lauren Johnson, senior. Although you will be called names that might get you down, understand that they aren’t true. But, what is true is that you are smart and beautiful on the inside and out, and don’t believe anyone that tells you differently. Nevertheless, if you surround yourself with good people who make you happy, know that high school won’t be as bad as it is made out to be.

Dear Freshmen boys,

Do what you love. Don’t try to be “popular” and fit in with the guys that are jerks, because no girl likes a jerk. Do not be a people pleaser, do things that make you happy. Although you may think its cool to be ill mannered to girls and that you are the hottest thing to walk the campus, sadly you’re not because you are the little man on campus. It is important to be nice to girls, because if not, you’ll really regret it later, I promise. Being rejected or “friend-zoned” by a girl, it isn’t the end of the world. Having a girl best friend is one of the best things you can ask for.

Dear Freshmen,

Join a club, act in a play, go to dances, and most importantly; don’t slack in any of your schoolwork. “Whoever said that freshman year doesn’t matter, lied because all four years count.” Says Lauren Johnson, Senior. Colleges will look at your freshman year and if you didn’t do well in a class, it could make or break your chances of getting into that school. And remember to have fun and “cherish every moment because senior year comes quick.” Senior, Vanessa Lowden says. “You are only a freshman; you have the best four years ahead of you.”